Friday, March 03, 2006

HRT March 06 Update:

HRT: Showing this month at the First National Bank of Del City is Cindy Van Kley, Holland Realtors is Sherry Hicks, Lupe’s Mexican Restaurant is Glenda Mullins, Campus Corner Coffee Shop is Wilda Summers, and at our new venue, Sweet Pea’s Victorian Restaurant is Joan Galbraith. Sweet Pea's is a beautiful posh victorian restaurant. Joan was instrumental in getting Sweet Pea’s for us. A great big thank you from all of us, Joan.

Keep sending me your leads for possible venues. If you are showing in one of our venues and would like me to write a press release for the Midwest City Sun, please email me two images of your work and a very short highlight of your bio. I need to receive these no later than one month prior, to the month, you will be showing. This will give me one week to compose and write it.

Campus Corner Coffee Shop is still interested in working with the artists to have an opening reception. If any of you are interested you will work directly with Mr. Pang.

I will be contacting the pastor of Epworth Church to see if she has any openings for her gallery wall and will provide an update later. I will also give an update on The Underground Coffee Shop later.
I still need a volunteer artist, ready to hang,to approach The Midwest Medical Group with me, to see if they are still interested in having our artists hang their work.

TAG The Colonies Show update: Karoll Kyle reported that Kay Moore has received 4 entries so far; Pat Pearson has the Mid-Del Art Guild handling the reception, and the majority of the food has been donated by an anonymous donor, so we just need wine and soft drinks. Pat said if each group brought two bottles of wine that would be plenty. The digital files referred to in the prospectus just mean pictures on a CD, preferably in jpg format, or slides can be submitted; the quality of digital pictures made into slides was questioned. Art will be delivered May 1 from 9 to 1 and will be checked in downstairs; hopefully we will have some volunteers with good legs to run pieces upstairs! Dru Marseilles said any pedestals needed could not be delivered until 3:30 or 4 that afternoon. Patricia Self, HLO, donated card stock, and Lee Williams has offered to help with the graphics for invitations and posters. Invitations are needed by April 15 to be sent to artists with their acceptance notifications. Karoll said she would take care of title cards and Lynden Wilcoxson will do invitations and the catalogue. Volunteers to help set up the show should contact her. (Karoll Kyle, 405-605-6088). The opening reception will be from 4:00-6:00 instead of 2:00-4:00 on May 6; awards will be presented around 5:00.

Jewel Box fundraiser: Karoll Kyle said she has the Jewel Box tickets here; we will have an art show and reception at 7:00 before the 8:00 curtain for the final dress rehearsal of “Oklahoma” on Wednesday, April 12. There will only be a 15-minute intermission. We can get the artists entering the show to bring some of their entries and we will have a simple reception – boxed wine, cheese and crackers. Janie Schmitz might be able to get donations of dinners for two from Cattlemen’s for door prizes. We also have the opportunity to sell the tickets as a donation to a group of Japanese foreign exchange students that really want to see the show.

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin’s office project: Regina has 2-dimensional entries from only 4 people; Dru has 3-D entries from 2. We will need more artwork; Donna Connelly said she does not have photographs of her work but will bring some paintings by for consideration. Installation will be in mid-March; Pat offered to help.
I will let you know if there is still time to get your artwork in the Capital and who you need to contact.

Someone needs to volunteer to be the next Mid-Del Art Guild rep. to TAG. The minimum time to serve is two overlapping years. My replacement should have already started this year. Technically, we are supposed to have three reps. I think we are the only art group to have only one rep. I have enjoyed it immensely and learned so much about myself. It has been an invaluable experience. I have met so many interesting people and have learned that I am pretty good at gathering information, so I guess you could say that I can collect something besides dust. :) When I first started, I didn’t think I would have anything to contribute or did not know enough about the arts to help.
I remember so well one of the earliest meetings a woman named Carol Webster said to the group, “I don’t know what I can do to help so you will have to let me know what you need me to do.” She is now the President of TAG and doing a marvelous job. She has been one of the hardest workers in the group. I am using this to demonstrate that we often do not know what we are capable of until we “stick our necks out.” I am glad I stuck my neck out. It has helped me to grow so much as an individual. Will you stick your neck out and be the next Mid-Del Art Guild rep to TAG? You need to be attending the monthly meetings with me now. The meetings are at 6:30 at Studio Six in Paseo on the third Tuesday of each month.

“Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.” James Bryant Conant (1893-1978), Harvard President (1933-53).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home